Search engine optimization is crucial for making sure that your website ranks. Next Wave Services delivers high-quality Wix websites that will help you rank organically on the major search engines, like Google and Bing. Let’s take a look at some of the SEO basics that can help your website rank better and drive more organic traffic.
How To Use Keywords Effectively On Your Website
Every page of your website should be optimized for a keyword or a group of similarly related keywords. Here are some tips for using keywords on each of your website’s pages:
● Make sure the URL slug (the part of your URL that follows the .com) includes the focus keyword for the page.
● Include the keyword in the opening paragraph of your page.
● Make sure to use the keyword and related keywords as headlines throughout the page.
● Ideally, try to use the focus keyword 3 to 5 times on the page for optimal rankings.
Writing Compelling Title Tags and Meta Descriptions
Title tags and meta descriptions are the text that appear in Google when someone does a search and your website pops up. Here are some guidelines for writing great titles and meta descriptions.
Title tags should:
● Include power words like “best” or “trusted.”
● Use the targeted keyword as well as your location if you are a service-based business.
● Be approximately 60 to 80 characters in length.
Meta descriptions should:
● Be around 150 to 200 characters in length.
● Consist of one to two sentences, the first of which includes the keyword you are targeted followed by a short call-to-action sentence.
Tips for Writing Content for Search Engines
Writing content for search engines can be a daunting task. However, there are a few tips that can help create content that is both friendly to your website visitors and search engines. These tips include:
● Make sure that your paragraphs are shorter in nature; it is easier to read a paragraph that is 5 to 7 sentences long than a longer paragraph.
● Make sure that headlines are used to group similar pieces of copy on a web page.
● Numbered lists and bullet points are useful for breaking up longer pieces of copy.
● Don’t worry too much about keyword placement, but use your focus keywords naturally on the page so that the copy flows.
Other SEO Considerations for Better Rankings
There are other things to do on your website that can help improve SEO. For example, if you have a group of related pages, make sure to provide internal links. Instead of saying “click here,” when creating an internal link, use the focus keyword of the page that you are linking to.
Another thing that can help increase your rankings is to continually optimize your content. If you are being outranked by a competitor, go in and study their content and update yours so that it is current. An example of this could be updating older blog posts. It is also helpful to create a content calendar to help lay out your SEO for several months in advance.